Monday, December 7, 2020

Four Tips for Online Learning Success

By Josie Spivey, Lipscomb University TSCPA Student Ambassador

2020 has been a rollercoaster. Each of us is having to learn how to adapt quickly. This was especially true for me as a student when classes went online suddenly due to COVID-19. I have never been a fan of online classes because I enjoy being with my classmates in person and find it easier to engage in a traditional classroom setting. After a couple of weeks of online courses, one of my professors facilitated a class discussion to let us air out how we were feeling about the switch from in-person to online education. Many of my classmates felt the same way I did - lack of motivation, complacent, easily distracted and tired of sitting at their computer looking at a screen all day. There are some individuals that thrive doing online school or working from home, but many others do not. I would like to share a few tips for those of you who struggle with virtual courses.

Imitate a Classroom Setting

One thing that I found to be helpful was to imitate a classroom setting in my room. During my Zoom classes, I would sit up and set my laptop at a desk or table. This helped me to be engaged and ready to take notes during class. Furthermore, making a separate workplace for yourself enables you to walk away from your work when you’re done and need to relax. Another tip is to keep your Zoom camera on during class. This shows the professor you are engaged and that their class is your priority at the moment. It can also act as an accountability tool for yourself - if you know they can see you, you are more likely to pay attention. 

Get Outside 

Staring at a screen while inside all day can be draining and boring. I discovered that short walks outside everyday helped me to combat this. It allows you to get out of the house and change your scenery, especially during the long class days. Receiving a benefit doesn’t require you to go far. Trust me, it will completely change your focus and mood! 

Utilize Technology

Luckily, we have the technology to stay in touch with our professors, classmates, family and friends to assist with practicing social distancing. Virtual platforms such as Zoom are great for interacting during this time. Although it may not be the same as seeing someone in person, it still allows you to have the face-to-face interaction that texting cannot provide.  

Stay Positive

This is key! Remaining positive about a situation can change your entire outlook on the situation. We are all in this together. Remember, your family, friends, classmates and coworkers are all going through the same types of anxiety and stress you may be feeling right now. This has been new for each of us. So, make a mental effort to contribute positively to your conversations. 

I am a big fan of the phrase, “This too shall pass,” and it will. The world will, no doubt, look different on the other side. But we will carry on, working together to make our world a better place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment