Friday, February 5, 2016

Scholar Spotlight

Madeline Enderle, of Knoxville, is one of four exemplary students recognized by TSCPA and awarded a King Foundation scholarship for 2015. The King Foundation scholars receive a three-year scholarship totaling $25,000. The fund was established by Calvin and Jean King to assist accounting students in achieving their college and career goals.

Pursuing a B.S. in mathematics and a B.B.A. in accounting at Lipscomb University, Enderle plans on enrolling in the Masters of Accountancy program at Lipscomb and sitting for the CPA exam after she graduates.

Enderle, who grew up in Knoxville, believes the scholarship will open many doors for her. “I hope to go on after receiving my undergraduate degree to my masters,” she says, “and from there, I would like to eventually receive a Ph.D. I enjoy my studies and am excited by the possibility of continuing my education after receiving my undergraduate degrees; however, the cost of all of my schooling is an obstacle. This scholarship will substantially reduce that obstacle.”

She recalls, “When [TSCPA President/CEO] Brad Floyd informed me that I was to receive the scholarship, I was surprised and elated. I did not know that such a large scholarship was even available. So, it took a minute for the news to sink in.”

In her spare time, Enderle is a pole vaulter on the track and field team at Lipscomb. “I love my team and the sport,” she says. “In addition to being an all-around fun thing to do, it teaches me discipline, how to work as a team and much more.”

Enderle and her older brother Joshua, who is also an accounting major at Lipscomb [and a fellow TSCPA scholarship recipient, winning the Paul L. Royston Award this year] grew up traveling quite a bit with their family, and she has a love of new and foreign places that she hopes she can incorporate into her career.

“In my mind, accounting is the language of business,” she says, “and as such it is crucial for understanding a company, investing in a company, building a company, etc. Accounting is necessary in all industries, so being able to speak it opens up many interesting possibilities, and that excites me. I hope to have a successful career characterized by hard work and innovation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment