Friday, March 18, 2016

Scholar Spotlight

Paxton Mitchell, of Murfreesboro, is one of four exemplary students recognized by TSCPA and awarded a King Foundation scholarship for 2015. The King Foundation scholars receive a three-year scholarship totaling $25,000. The fund was established by Calvin and Jean King to assist accounting students in achieving their college and career goals.

An accounting major at Middle Tennessee State University with a minor in business administration, Mitchell says, “This scholarship will help my financial burden of college tuition and will definitely give me more time to devote to my positions in campus organizations.”

Those campus positions include roles as treasurer of his Sigma Nu Fraternity chapter and vice president of finance for MTSU Interfraternity Council.

Mitchell grew up in the Murfreesboro/Smyrna area and spent his time "playing sports constantly, including baseball, soccer, basketball and tennis."  As he got older, he traveled widely while playing soccer year-round, and he still plays for his fraternity's intramural soccer team.

He first became interested in accounting at Blackman High School, where he took two years of accounting classes.  An ambitious student, he now plans on getting his master's of accountancy and sitting for the CPA exam as soon as he is eligible.

"In 10 years I hope to be in a management position at an accounting firm here in Tennessee," he says.

When Mitchell received the call that he'd been awarded the King Foundation scholarship, he was working as an intern at Deloitte, and he remembers the excitement and surprise of the moment:

"I couldn't believe I was receiving this remarkable scholarship.  I remember telling my family that I applied for the TSCPA scholarships, never believing I would receive the King Foundation scholarship.  I tried to keep it a secret from my parents so I could surprise them that weekend when my dad got home, but I was too excited and told my mom as soon as I got home."

No comments:

Post a Comment