Monday, January 25, 2016

Scholar Spotlight


Gabrielle Beckner, of Franklin, is one of four exemplary students recognized by TSCPA and awarded a King Foundation scholarship for 2015. The King Foundation scholars receive a three-year scholarship totaling $25,000. The fund was established by Calvin and Jean King to assist accounting students in achieving their college and career goals.

A junior at Tennessee Technological University, Beckner recalls receiving the news, saying, “I was at work, and I went into the restroom to take the call and attempt to contain my shock. I was so surprised. I thought it must be a prank call. When I heard the amount, I gasped, put my hand over my mouth and immediately started crying. I was bursting with excitement and joy.”

Beckner became interested in accounting at the recommendation of her mother, and plans to continue with graduate studies to prepare to sit for the CPA exam. In her spare time, Beckner is an active member of the Delta Gamma sorority at Tennessee Tech.

“I am excited about the possibilities of a career in accounting,” she says. “Both companies and governments find the skills of accountants beneficial. There will be numerous opportunities for employment and growth, and with dedication, you can climb as high as you desire in the field. I look forward to the challenges and constant changes that are found in the field of accounting, and to being a lifelong learner.”

“The King scholarship is such a blessing,” Beckner continues. “The gift provides peace of mind and a cushion so that I will not need to work as many hours and will be able to focus on my studies with more wiggle room in my budget.”

No comments:

Post a Comment